Friday, July 27, 2012

Pineapple Honey Oat Cupcakes

These scrumcious cupcakes are DAIRY-FREE and because of the natural sugars used they can be safe for DIABETICS as well (in moderation of course). Makes 12 cupcakes.

Today, like most days, felt like a cupcake day. I really wanted to make cupcakes that had fruit in them. Berries (blue or straw) weren't really doing it for me and the bananas weren't ripe enough. Then I found a can of pineapple rings in the cupboard and inspiration hit. I LOVE pineapple, best fruit ever if you as me. So, I kind of made up this recipe. However, I was inspired by the Pear & Oat Cupcakes recipe in Wild about Cupcakes (which is THE recipe book for gourmet cupcakes, it's my go to for my recipes).

1 can pineapple rings in pineapple juice
2 Tbsp of honey
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup flax meal
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup low-fat non-dairy spread (I used vegan margarine)
3/4 cup brown sugar (dark or light. I used dark)
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp of sliced almonds (optional)

~.~.~.~.~.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.

2. Drain pineapple juice from the can and into a medium saucepan. Add honey and mix. Then add the rolled oats. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat. Be careful, it will burn easily and start simmering pretty quick. You don't want to burn this, once it starts to simmer stir it, let it simmer a bit more and remove. Let cool for 15 minutes or so.


Simmering oat/pineapple/honey mixture

3. I thought it would be best to slice the pineapples a bit thinner then they are in the can. I halved each slice to make nice and thin pineapple rings. These rings will be used at the end right before the cupcakes go into the oven for an added sweetness. I didn't actually use all the rings that were in the can, there three left over. (I used Dole pineapple rings).

4. In a small combine both flours, the flax meal, baking soda, baking powder and ginger. You don't HAVE to use the flax meal. I just didn't have enough whole wheat flour to make a full cup so I improvised. The flax adds omega-3s and nice texture!


Dry ingredients
Pale and Creamy!


5. Beat the non-dairy spread, brown sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until pale and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time into the mixture at low speed. Making sure to fully mix in each egg before adding the next. The batter is probably kind of soupy now, don't worry!

6. With the mixer on low speed (or if you have a stand up mixer like me, use the stir setting), slowly add the oat mixture and the flour mixture to the batter. Stir until just mixed. Too much mixing will activate the baking soda/powder too much and it won't work its magic in the oven.

7. Using an 1.5 inch ice cream scoop spoon the batter into the paper cups. I only got eleven cupcakes, hopefully you will get 12. Place a bit of the thinly sliced pineapple ring on top and sprinkle on the sliced almonds.

8. Bake 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and firm to the touch. Transfer the entire muffin tin (don't remove the cupcakes) onto a wire rack and allow to completely cool
.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

I'm pretty happy with how these turned out. I was a little scared because like I said earlier I was making it up! I was hoping the pineapples could substitute and they did! If you like pineapple you'll LOVE these cupcakes. I would like to add that the pineapple and honey are not overwhelmingly expressed in these cupcakes. They create a delicate and sweet flavour that is irresistible. 

These cupcakes are perfect for a summer gathering or a tropical themed party. I think instead of icing these it would be best to serve fresh pineapple with them. However, if you feel very inclined to put icing on them, chocolate would be best. Try to get dark chocolate, or make it yourself with melted dark chocolate, otherwise you're loosing the dairy-free aspect of these cupcakes! I hope you enjoy these as much as I have.



The sliced almonds at a bit of decoration and texture too

Ready to eat Pineapple Honey Oat Cupcakes. ENJOY!





Happy Baking,
Bree

No comments:

Post a Comment