Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Dairy Free Black Bottom Muffins

My big brother was coming into town for a visit and he wanted me to make him some Black Bottom Muffins. I've never made them before. The cafeteria where we used to go to college had them and they were his hands down favourite. The problem I faced in making these muffins is that there is a plop of cream cheese on the top of them. After searching around and asking a friend, I found a decent recipe that uses imitation cream cheese. I was a little doubtful in the idea of using the fake cream cheese BUT they are mouth-watering. I took them over to a family supper and everyone enjoyed them. My brother, who loved those real-cream cheese ones, ate three muffins after supper. Needless to say, you're going to enjoy these, even without dairy. I did modify the original recipe a bit. I also used a real egg instead of a vegan egg substitute.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

Cream Cheese Topping ingredients
8 ounces vegan cream cheese (I used Tofutti)
1 egg (when I make these again, I'll only used egg whites)
2 tablespoons water (I think next time I do these I'll replace the water with almond milk)
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
half a bag of vegan semi sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. (Definitely use more chocolate chips if you want to!)

Chocolate Cake Recipe
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water (or substitute in almond milk)
5 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla


Directions:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Make the cream cheese mixture first. Beat the egg (or egg whites) with the water (or almond milk) until frothy. Add in the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips and set aside.

3. In a medium bowl sift together the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt).

4. In a large bowl beat together the water (or almond milk), oil, vinegar and vanilla. Gradually add the dry ingredients until just blended.

5. Line muffin tin with paper cups. Fill each cup about 1/2 full with cake batter. Plop in a spoon or two of the cream cheese mixture. Honestly, I just filled the cups up to the top of the paper liner.

6. Bake at 350 for 20-25 min or until top springs back when gently pressed. Makes 12-18 cupcakes.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

These cupcakes may not be the most beautiful things you ever seen, but you have been warned they are entirely delicious.

Happy Baking, 
Bree


Dairy Free Black Bottom Muffins 


No comments:

Post a Comment